Thursday, June 25, 2020

She’s Hannah and she has a car



So it was one of the first months of COVID Quarantine and it was already taking it's toll on people. I missed seeing friends, and it was just getting tough. Everyone was zooming, calling, face-timing, whatever they could, but it wasn’t easy for anyone. 

My sweet friend Hannah is from Raleigh, lives in Nashville, but was working from Raleigh with COVID hit so she stayed there to try and ride it out. Needless to say everyone in Nashville missed her, including me!

So once a week we would call each other on our lunch breaks during covid and chat and talk a "walk" together. By our lunch break I mean her lunch break, ha. I worked in the entertainment industry so it shut down, so my talk with her was a very welcomed phone call each week.

My house has this huge hill as a front yard so when we would talk on the phone I would go out there and walk up and down that hill for the 30-60 minutes we’d be on the phone. It became our joke of me “walking the hill” while she was on the phone.

Anywho, one week we had our scheduled lunch call and she called me and said “are you on the hill?” and I said “yep I’m walking!” and she said “hold on, I’m walking outside of my house to go on a walk too.” And as she said that I see a car pull up my driveway and say “Oh nooo this always happens, someone always comes in my driveway while I’m walking up and down my yard like a crazy person…” ha we start laughing then I see who it is..”OH MY GOSH HANNAH…IS THAT YOU?!!”

She gets out of the car and of course we can’t hug (covid rules) but I ask her “what are you doing here?” and her answer was simple, “I came to walk the hill with you.”

So for the next 30 minutes we just walk and talk up and down that hill…together. That was the first time I had seen anyone besides my roommates for months. I don’t think anyone who didn’t go through Covid will ever understand what it was like to be isolated from your people. I needed to see her at that moment, she had a car, she had a way, she probably had a large bladder because you couldn’t use the public restrooms on that road trip. She just decided and said to herself “yeah, I’m going to drive and see my friend today, walk the hill with her.”

It wasn’t extravagantly planned out, but it was about knowing what someone needed at that very moment. Knowing it wasn't hard to make it happen, it was just a friend in her car coming to see if another friend was ok and to walk a hill with her.

that was her loving me with what she had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment