Sunday, August 15, 2021

writers need to live a life to write about

this post is for my single friends.. and maybe my older retired friends too...


there is this cute show on Apple called "home before dark" 

it's about a family and the dad is a writer and a reporter and his little 4th grader follows in his footsteps

she tries to find out mysteries in her dads small home town and writes about it

anywhooooo in one of the episodes the dad tells the little girl that she needs to stop investigating for one night

that she needs to go live her life..that in order to write about life she has to live it.. that's what writers do.. they have to live life..see it..experience it then write about it..


got me. 


has life felt not very interesting lately? to anyone else? nothing to really write home about? Maybe that's why we're all just posting photos of food and just following influencers? Because we're not living a life worth writing home about? Well for me I feel like i've got in this comfort zone and it's pretty...boring.

I get it I get it-- life isn't always mountain tops and exciting adventures- it doesn't need to be the freaking best day ever every day---but-- you should be able to sit in a room with your friend and be like "wow that was a moment i'll remember for a long time" we laughed hard over a silly convo or i'm so glad we went Tubing today -- or that guy we met at the pool with the short shorts was a gem. memories. moments.  I feel like they've been few this year because online has been high- watching fake life on tv and insta vs. living life.

are you living life or watching others make up a story for you.

and i know it's not all bad-- hellooo TED LASSO INSPIRES ME SO MUCH.hahah but it's so easy being single to get into a routine of home after work, cook some food, watch a show and go to bed early. haha ok just me? I love early mornings so I'm in bed so early! 

and those are great- great to get rest- but it doesn't all need to be rest- especially my extraverted friends--- the way we fuel is by living a life with strangers and people.... playing volleyball or talking to the stranger at the pool.. or playing board games with your friends instead of just watching tv... it can be in the little moments too-- but just taking the time to create those moments and notice them-- vs.. I don't know... each of us just staying in our own homes living our own lives and kind of coasting.


i used to write songs-- I had so much to write about---I have a friend that for about 15 years- anytime I see him he ask "hows the new song coming" ha he NEVER lets it go...

I think it's time for us all to write a new song--- do something a little fresh- even if it means going alone and going outside the box--let's all try--- add some spice back into the week-- write that new country song :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment