Wednesday, January 6, 2010

it's just a hat

i had a lovely night last night with the girls.
we went to sushi yobi and laughed a lot.
eban our waiter thought we were cool.
kind of.
on my way into the restaurant i saw one of my favorite people in nashville.
diane.
most of you have seen her.
she sits on the bench on demonbreun.
across the street from the restaurant.
if you've ever talked to her she'll tell you she's not homeless.
she'll also tell you it's her job to clean up the parking lot.
sometimes i've driven by and she's actually cleaning it up.

my old roommate janelle and i always loved seeing her there.
she has tall boots on
a hat.
and she always looks happy.
when diane isn't there i get worried.
at night she goes somewhere but by sun up she's always there.

i've talked to her a few times.
honestly, she's so nice.
there is just something about her.

last night takes the cake.
we're talking and she goes
"you need a hat!"
and she continues to tell me i'm going to get sick.
then we go off into random talk about conditioning our hair.
she says vaseline does wonders, hmm i'll have to try it.
anyways, i had to get going but as i'm leaving she goes
"let me give you my hat, so you don't get sick!"
i'm confused, "what did you say?"
"let me give you my hat, it will match your scarf and keep you warm."
speechless.
and that's rare for me.
diane.
who is homeless.
wants to give me a gift.
her hat.
she sits out in the cold all day.
and she wants to give it to me.

i have spent all week worried about life and the future.
and i know this was God.
totally showing me what is important.
this woman has put me in my place.
showing me what it's all about.
we want more and more and more.
i don't have money to give to others.
money is tight.
need a rug.
need the matching shower curtain.

and then diane.
has nothing.
but some boots. a hat. a panda bear. and lots of love.
and wants to give that away.
you think you would do that if you were her?
or would you be bitter that you were homeless?
are you bitter now and you're not homeless?
i have more than 90% of the WORLD and i still struggle to give.
diane has so little and gives it all away.
please take it like i did.
an act of love.
one little act of love.
can go a long way.
it's just a hat.
but to that woman.
it was like she gave me her faith and love.
in a hat.

say hi to her when you see her.
she may not be homeless, who knows.
she might be the light to open your eyes.


4 comments:

  1. I am so sad I missed sushi with the girls...sending my love from Argentina!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you need to post more often. this was lovely, and you are lovely miss frail.
    x

    ReplyDelete